Firm News: here we are at the end of 2016! The firm has been running for two full years now. Our headcount has grown further and our core interactive entertainment practice continued to grow, as did our esports and digital broadcast practices, on both legal and business development fronts. The firm Hearthstone league gave way to regular 'discussions' about Clash Royale :) Jas received the Hospital Club's h.100 award to influential figures in the UK creative industries (for contributions to video games). Anyway, here's some highlights of what we've been up to in 2016:
- Business and legal advice to a number of games studios in 2016 including CD Projekt Red, Nordeus, Wargaming, Techland, CCP Games, Facepunch Studios, 22Cans, Brightrock Games, Boneloaf, Blazing Griffin, Failbetter Games and Bithell Games.
- Advising other games industry businesses including GOG.com and Gamer Network on commercial contracts, IP and regulatory matters.
- Advised Improbable on the release of its SpatialOS virtual worlds simulation platform and Games Innovation Program in partnership with Google.
- Advised Multiplay in negotiations with EA for an online hosting arrangement for Titanfall 2 (look out for Jas in the Titanfall 2 credits!)
- Advising a games business client on the acquisition of a major games IP portfolio.
- Advising a successful indie studio on cross-platform and international deals for one of the most successful PC games of the last few years.
- Representing an EU games studio in relation to substantial international litigation involving commercial and copyright issues.
- Assisting two EU online games companies on business structuring and legal advice for mobile games ventures.
- Assisting Team Dignitas on its sale to a group of investors owning the Philadelphia 1976ers and other US sports interests.
- Advising leading EU esports teams including Team Dignitas, G2, Fnatic and Team Liquid on complex player contract matters and transfers, as well as various other commercial and legal matters.
- Advised on the highest value European player and team transfer deals in 2016.
- Representing investors in new esports team NERV on its formation and acquisition of a League of Legends Challenger Series slot from Copenhagen Wolves.
- Advised a European esports organisation to resolve a complex multi-party dispute.
- Advising on and contributing to a UK esports white paper to the British government for the growth of the esports industry in the UK (led by the UK industry association UKIE).
- Contributed to industry response to UK Gambling Commission’s draft legal proposals regarding esports gambling (led by UKIE), representing the interests of a number of esports stakeholders.
- Advising an esports publisher and an esports league on commercial, intellectual property and strategic matters.
- Advising YouTube channels including the Yogscast on a range of commercial, IP and other matters.
- Assisting a major gaming brand and other clients to navigate platform and legal rules regarding paid content, sponsored content and affiliate marketing.
- Providing workshops and legal advice on working with influencers to a number of digital entertainment companies (and published this international legal guide to working with influencers).
Looking forward to next year:
- A new website!
- Legal and business development bulletins for the digital entertainment industry
- New legal service lines, including fixed fee packages for smaller clients as well as an expansion of our general counsel service lines for established clients.
- More about our business development activities for digital entertainment businesses , building on a number of deals we have helped to put together in 2016.
Watch this space for more news in 2017!