Firm News: it's been very busy in 2015, our first full year of operation! The firm's headcount has grown, including the hiring of associate Pete Lewin, with further growth planned in 2016 at all levels (yay, more people!). The firm was ranked by Chambers & Partners, the leading international legal directory, as a leading law firm in digital entertainment (making us seem slightly more respectable). We have been active within UK/Europe and internationally, both with client work and speaking at industry events in the UK, US, Germany, Poland, Lithuania and Romania (yay, air miles!) In addition to our interactive entertainment practice, we’re continuing to grow in our other core areas of eSports, digital broadcast and tech – particularly our eSports practice, where we have been at the cutting edge of many European eSports developments during 2015. Also, we have a firm Hearthstone league :)
Here's a few highlights of what we've been up to in 2015:
- Advising CD Projekt Red on matters regarding its blockbuster hit The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
- Assisting a number of indie games studios regarding the release of their games in 2015 including Mike Bithell Games (Volume), Failbetter Games (Sunless Sea) and Subterranean Games (War for the Overworld) as well as helping prepare a number of indie games for release in 2016.
- Advising one of the world’s leading online games companies on a range of substantial development and publishing projects.
- Representing an EU games studio in relation to substantial international litigation involving commercial and copyright issues.
- Advising a number of European games businesses in connection with commercial partnerships with Chinese and other Asian businesses.
- Advising leading EU eSports teams on a range of matters, including Team Dignitas on the sale of its European League of Legends team and G2 eSports from its establishment onwards.
- Advising eSports teams on the establishment and structuring of the forthcoming Turner/IMG eLeague to be broadcast on primetime US TV in 2016.
- Structuring and advising on one of the first complex player loan arrangements in European eSports.
- Advice and representation in relation to a range of player matters.
- Assisting a major US eSports gambling company in relation to European expansion and navigating complex regulatory frameworks.
- Advising one of the world's leading eSports organisations on commercial, intellectual property and strategic matters.
- Co-founding and advising on the establishment of a proposed UK eSports association, including constitutional matters, regulation and outreach program.
- Representing YouTube channels including the Yogscast on a range of commercial, corporate and other matters.
- Advising on one of the first TV series to be created in partnership with a YouTube channel.
- Advising a major gaming brand and other clients on navigating platform and legal rules regarding paid content, sponsored content and affiliate marketing in digital broadcast.
- Advising Improbable, one of the most innovative tech startups in Europe, on a range of matters.
- Assisting a number of US and international internet and technology companies to navigate EU legal issues including consumer protection, data privacy and other regulation matters.
Watch this space for more news in 2016!